SCI: Safe School Climate Certificate Program
REQUIRED FOR SCHOOL SITE OR DISTRICT WIDE PLUS IMPLEMENTATION
University of Southern California Sol Price School of Public Policy Safe Communities Institute (SCI), in partnership with PCE Solutions, offers a Trainer Certification Course (TCC) for individuals who are interested in receiving a Safe School Climate Certificate (SSCC) and recognized as a certified trainer in the Peer Leaders Uniting Students Program (PLUS) Program. The Safe School Climate Certificate program will engage participants with critical insight on emerging trends impacting a safe learning environment. The SSCC prepares educational leaders with the knowledge base, technical skills and program development methods needed to effectively establish a safe and supportive school climate for all students and staff. This comprehensive certification program goes beyond just building capacity in educational leaders, it will actually equip participants with the essential tools and proven curriculum to increase engagement in students and effectively build a safe school climate. Participants will become certified trainers of the PLUS Program, an evidence-based Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR) model that is used by educational leaders as a tool to implement their action plans.
Participants of Safe school climate certificate program will learn how to:
- Target core campus issues impacting a Safe School Climate, using sources of quantitative and qualitative data to implement effective interventions.
- Utilize Student Voice as a source of program development that works alongside LCAP/ESSA, PBIS/MTSS, School Safety Plans and Mental Wellness planning for all students.
- Become a Trainer of an Evidence Based Youth Development program proven to increase student engagement and academic achievement.
- Establish a Stakeholders network to increase community and parent engagement.
- Develop Activities that create lines of communication and build community amongst students and staff.
- School Safety planning and prevention strategies to address critical risk factors impacting safe school climate. To include:
- Gang Prevention and Intervention
- Vaping, Tobacco and Drug Use
- Mental Health and Wellness
- Bullying and Harassment
- Racism and Extremism in K12 Schools
- Human Trafficking and Social Media Exploitation
- Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention
Upcoming Certificate Program:
Summer Session - June12-15, 2023 | Time: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm (PST)
Fall Session - October TBD |Time: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm (PST)
Winter Session - TBD |Time: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm (PST)
SSCC is a four-week program offering one online class per week. Each class lasts 6 hours, and the class structure is delivered in two learning modules each session. View Program Outline
- Training of Trainer (TOT) model to develop the knowledge to implement the PLUS Program on a school campus.
- This will include data integration, action planning and situational learning.
- Participants will learn how to develop school safety plans and align the PLUS program as an extension of their MTSS/PBIS initiatives.
- Upon completion participants will be recognized as Certified Trainers of the PLUS Program.
- Topic Specific Capacity Development - A diverse cross-section of content experts from across the country will build knowledge of specific safe school topics.
- These topics include Bullying Prevention, Vaping & Drugs, Mental Health & Grief Support, Extremism & Hate, Gang Prevention & Intervention, Suicide Prevention and Human Trafficking.
- Participants will learn strategies on how to address each these topics as part of the overall action plans.
Safe School Climate Certificate Program Attendees Include:
District and School Administrators, School Safety Administrators, Student Support Administrators, Activity Directors and Counselors
$2000 per attendee
Upon Completion of the Safe School Climate Program participants receive:
- USC Safe Communities Institute - Safe School Climate Certificate
- Certified as a PLUS Program Trainer
- Evidence Based Program Development Tools and Curriculum - PLUS Implementation kit:
- 1-year unlimited online access to Direction Survey
- 1-year unlimited online access to the PLUS Exchange, including: curriculum, resources, activities, lessons and training power points
- Online Classroom Curriculum: Develop the PLUS Team Leader Teacher Guide and Student Workbook
Frequently Asked Questions:
Where are the trainings held at?
- All Certified Trainer Courses are facilitated online until further notice.
Who is the Safe School Climate Certificate awarded from?
- The certificate is awarded from the Safe Communities Institute in the Sol Price School of Public Policy at the University of Southern California.
Can we host a Trainers Course at a site in our district?
- No. The Safe School Climate Certificate Program is only offered online at this time.
Can we sign up multiple staff members to a single certificate program?
- Yes. We encourage a team of staff members to participate, as the PLUS Program becomes stronger on a campus when more people are wrapped around it.
Are purchase orders accepted?
- Yes. We can take purchase orders as well as online payments.
Once I become a PLUS Trainer, can I train other schools in and outside of my district?
- Yes and No.
- Yes, you can train schools within your district. All schools trained will need to purchase separate PLUS Implementation Kits.
- No, you can not train schools outside your district. We require that there is a Certified Trainer in the school or district who can help support the development of PLUS.
Can I charge a consultant fee for the trainings I do for other schools?
- No. At this time we have not developed the Trainer/Consultant Certification Program.
How much is the Trainers Course?
- Training Course price is $2000.00
Who do I contact for further details about the PLUS Trainers Course?
- Email us at - email@example.com